Everyone wants first-hand advice on how to prepare for a fast, efficient home sale that will produce a strong return on the real estate investment. This post can help! Get a glimpse into the minds of homeowners who recently sold their own properties. Learn about the mistakes they made, what they would have done differently and what worked really well. Then leverage that information to prepare for a successful sale in 2016.
- Lived in her Mill Valley, California home for 10 years with her husband, Gabriel.
- Real estate investor; opted to utilize HomeBay to help sell her own property.
- Good market conditions and thirst for a new life adventure prompted her sale.
Maureen's Advice for Future Sellers:
“There was a really emotional component about selling my own home that I wasn’t anticipating.” Maureen said. "It never happened with investment properties. At first, I was sharing stories about my family and the home, and over time, I began to realize that was a turnoff for buyers. Rather than hear about how we had made the house our home, I needed to let prospective buyers visualize their own future memories. I also found I was overly hospitable at times, during tours and open houses. Turns out, its best to let people have their space when they come to walk through your home.”
As for the rest of the selling process, Maureen said,"Take disclosure forms very seriously for the region you’re in, try not to show your emotional attachment to the home when you're talking to potential buyers and surround yourself with a good professional team, who knows more about real estate than you do."
- Lived in his San Rafael home with his family for 15 years.
- Empty-nester approaching retirement age, ready to cash in on his nest-egg.
- Years in the sales industry and sub-par experiences with agents inspired him to sell his own home (with a little help from HomeBay).
Gary's Advice for Future Sellers:
"Pricing got the best of me. My initial listing price was too high - and it slowed down the sales process. I went into the transaction thinking people would see my property and bid it down," said Gary.
"What happened instead was I lost a lot of traction with qualified buyers because my list price was over their budget, which means it wasn't even making it into the results when they searched for properties on real estate sites with price filters."
>> Read his full story here
- Jessica lived in her Redondo Beach home with her husband and kids for 2 years.
- The family decided to move to Arizona, so they needed to sell their CA home.
- Jessica knew a lot about real estate and had a few not so great realtor experiences, so she decided they would sell their home themselves (with HomeBay's help).
Jessica's Advice for Future Sellers:
"You need to clean, stage and learn the best ways to show a home before listing. You also need to be prepared to accommodate buyers request to see your home and make it presentable during these times."
As for the best decision they made during the selling process, Jessica said, "We did a lot of work to the home prior to listing, so we expected it to sell pretty quickly in a hot market. However, we didn't expect to get such a great offer (10k over asking price) just one day after listing!"
>> Read her full story here
Use these seller's experiences to prepare yourself for a successful sale in 2016!